Tuesday, February 7, 2017

La La Land: Review


Last weekend I had the privilege of seeing "La La Land" with a few of my friends. This is my review of the critically acclaimed film.

First this story is the age old, try-to-make-it-in-Hollywood story, however it is done in a modernly classic way. "La La Land" was written and directed by Damien Chazelle. It stars Emma Stone as a Hollywood barista who goes on audition after audition trying to make it as an actress. Her male lead is Ryan Gosling as a jazz pianist who just wan't play what he wants and when he wants as jazz is meant to be played. After bumping into each other through many different occasions they begin a friendship that would soon turn into, yep you guessed it, a romance. They learn and they grow. I won't give too much away, but this film is truly a nod to the classics. They mention a few of my favorite oldies throughout the film and the music is just as star-shining as the story.

From a variety of composers, the original music for the film was composed by Justin Hurwitz. It is all so reminiscent of the golden age of Hollywood and all its glory. Overall the cinematography was beautiful. there were a few scenes that I questioned but they were almost always connected to a scene that was over the top. On of the most gorgeous scenes I have ever seen was the scene that featured a silhouette of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone dancing over a blue and purple starry sky. I absolutely loved this scene, though when it first started it made me wonder why.

I would recommend this movie to any true movie, musical, and Hollywood fan. If you like the oldies or if you just like movies in general, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with this film. It wasn't what I expected but I do believe it deserves all the praise it gets. I give this movie 4.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment