Saturday, January 2, 2016

Writing a Movie Review


I love writing reviews of movies because I simply love movies. So far I have written reviews for Jurassic World, Trainwreck, Inside Out, Pan, Mockingjay Part 2, Creed, Love the Coopers, and The Force Awakens. I have changed up my style a little bit since the first one. In my first review, the Jurassic World review, I used 10 instead of 5 stars. I changed it to 5 when I developed this outline. I have really settled with 5 stars and I have a method to my madness. I would like to share this information for those of you that would like to have a basis for writing reviews, and this may be able to apply to other types of reviews as well. So here is my outline:

Include:
Make sure you always include somewhere in the review
-Who is responsible for the product: Writer(s) & Director
-Main Cast
-Short Summary
-How it was Made: CGI, Puppets, Sets, Music, etc.
-What you thought of it all

I have created a five-star system for my own reviews:

First Star- Was the casting good?
Second Star- Was the story entertaining?
Third Star-How well did the way they make it compliment the overall product?
Fourth Star- What did you think?
Fifth Star- What did the public think?

Stars Divided
I usually will only divide the stars in fourths. So I keep it to 1/4s, 1/2s, 3/4s, and 1s.
When it comes to the fifth star I usually use rotten tomatoes. When you type in the movie you will get two numbers and whatever the lowest number is is what I use on my scale. They do their numbers out of 100 so I made the scale: 1-25=1/4 of a star, 26-50=1/2 of a star, 51-75=3/4 of a star, and 76-100=a full star. Sometimes I use my own judgment for a full star, though.

Reviews are really fun for me and now that I have finally consolidated all my thoughts into an outline, I love it even more. It's a lot easier when writing about the movie and choosing how many stars to give because I used to just pull them out of my hat. So for those of you who want to write a review, I hope this helps you develop your own style. And for those of you who read my reviews, now you know how I determine my numbers. See if you agree with me on my next review and keep an eye out. There is always something new to review. Let me know what you thought in the comments below and as always, have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment