Thursday, August 13, 2015

Tips to Staying Healthy In College


Hello! I leave tomorrow to go to my brother's house on the way to Auburn and then I get back for real on Saturday! With the theme of College life in the air, I thought I would share how I like to keep healthy in college.

1. Eat Healthy. The good thing about college is you have a lot more control for yourself. Eating healthy is one of those controls. You buy what you want to eat. So I say make a list of what you need, get it, and get out. Try not to impulse buy. My grocery list isn't completely healthy, but I try to choose the healthy alternatives to what I like. For example, instead of greasy potato chips, I will buy pretzels. Not always considered healthy in their own right, but they are a better alternative. My healthy college grocery list includes:


        • Low-Fat Milk
        • Lot's of Veggies
        • Rice/Noodles
        • Pretzels instead of Chips
        • Cereal that benefits you nutritionally
        • Sandwich making supplies. PB&J and what not.
        • Lots and lots of fruits
        • Low-fat yogurt
        • Granola bars
        • And Lunchables because I love them and I always will. Don't judge.
2. Excercise. My roommates helped me get in the habit of going to the gym three times a week. MWF at 6:00 A.M. It's not as bad as it sounds. It really helps me get out of bed and wake me up for the rest of the day. It also makes me feel good. In the words of Elle Woods, "Excercise give you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands." You kill two birds with one stone. Also, if you go to a University, chances are there is a gym on campus that is free for students. You should use it. Don't waste your benefits while you are at college.

3. Eat 3 meals a day and maybe a snack. I have written an earlier blog post on just this alone and that can explain this further. I have the worst meal habits when I am at school. It's so hard to be on a set schedule when you are more concerned about what you're going to make on your test, but you really need to try. I always feel better when I have had three meals a day, and that is one of my school year resolutions.


4. Sleep. College is well known for pulling all-nighters in the library. Well, that really doesn't do anything. Your body needs sleep to absorb all the information it has just tried to put away. Try to get at least 6 hours of sleep a night, or I would rather get 8 at least personally.
5. Keep Track. Really you should keep track of everything in college. Money, school, but especially food. Keep track of all that you are eating. Try not to over do it on the snacks, though I know it can be easy when you are studying. Keep a journal, make a mental note, get an app, or just add calories to your phone calculator as you go. That's what I do and when I say keep track it doesn't always have to be calories.


I hope these five tips have helped you in some way. Let me know what you thought or what I forgot in the comments below. Stay healthy everyone and have fun. Come back tomorrow for one of my go to college recipes that is easy and delicious. Have a wonderful Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment